Subtle not too overpowering grapefruit curd, perfect for just eating with a spoon if you like!
- 2 cups grapefruit juice, from about 6 grapefruits
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons grapefruit zest
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add the grapefruit juice to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until reduced by half, then remove from the heat to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar and grapefruit zest, mix well. The zest will release its natural oils and yield a more flavorful curd.
- Using your mixer of choice, cream the sugar mixture with the butter until fluffy. Add the egg yolks, eggs and salt, mix until combined. Dont worry if the mixture looks a bit curdled, that’s okay. Add the cooled, reduced (one cup) grapefruit juice and mix well.
- Add the mixture to a medium saucepan. Over medium heat, cook while whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens, usually about 15 minutes. The curd is ready when it will coat the back of a wooden spoon, and is the thickness of warm pudding.
- Transfer the curd to a bowl, top with a piece of saran wrap and refrigerate until cooled.
-If it looks curdled, just keep mixing, it will come together.