There is one constant in our house… The girls LOOOVE to play dress up! So naturally I took this as an excuse to buy a stupid amount of card board from our local art store, and play myself. Cardboard boxes would work well too though.
This isn’t exactly a tutorial of any kind, more of just inspiration for what you can do, but I’ll give you the run down of my steps.
How to make your very own moth costume.
- Cardboard at least the size of desired wings, I bought mine at our local art store in a 4’x4′ sheet.
- Acrylic Paint
- Duct Tape
- 1/4 yard of faux fur
- Find a moth as inspiration on Pinterest.
- According to your child’s height measure how long you want the wings, then draw and cut them out.
- Draw out the wing patterns and paint them.
- Tape the wings together at the very top with strong tape, like duct tape or gaffers tape.
- Measure your child’s arms and cut out a piece of faux fur the length of their arms spread out wide(from hand to hand), by about 9″ tall.
- Center the top of the taped together wings on the faux fur, and staple in place. This was a lazy way of making it so she could wear the wings, because I just wrapped the fur around her like a shawl and just tied it in a knot. But it worked for us!
This moth costume was inspired by Mer Mag Blog, she made an amazing costume!