Three ingredients, a little patience, and one crispy artisan loaf of bread. Oh, and absolutely zero kneading!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water, room temperature
- In a large bowl whisk the dry ingredients together until well combined.
- Stir in the water until a chunky dough forms. It’s going to look chunky and weird, but that’s ok.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 12-18 hours at room temperature.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 450 degrees, and place a 6 quart enamel coated dutch oven (or similar) in the oven to preheat for about 30 minutes.
- The dough should be loose and puffy, with little bubbles in it at this point. Gently scrape it into a ball with a little flour sprinkled on the outside, and set on a piece of parchment paper. Cover with a little plastic wrap while your pan heats up.
- Remove the plastic from the dough, and place the parchment sheet with dough inside your hot (be extra careful here, it always sucks to forget you’re working with something preheated) dutch oven. Cover with lid and bake for 30 minutes this way. Uncover and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until you reach that crispy gold crust!
*Don’t skip the 12-18 rest period, or preheating the dutch oven!